Weekend Recap: It’s A Long One!

by Courtney Sirotin on September 17, 2012

Post image for Weekend Recap: It’s A Long One!

This recap is coming a day late, but not a dollar short because I’ve got tons of pictures for you. In fact, you might even a make a buck on this deal.


Let’s start at the very beginning. It’s a very good place to start, so I hear. Saturday my mother was throwing a cookout in honor of my great uncle, Joe, who hasn’t made it to one of my family’s legendary lobster cookouts in a number of years. While my mother prepped, I took Dylan to the grocery store because, well, I needed some groceries.

On the way there, I pulled into Aroma Joe’s, a very local drive thru coffee franchise. I was in line behind a funky old hearse without any windows. It was odd/unsettling, so I took a picture.

IMG_5027 (640x480)

But what is even odder is that this morning (Monday), as I was on my way somewhere on a completely different road, I again ended up behind that very same hearse! Creepy much? I’m going to blindly assume it’s a sign of good luck.

Anyway, while waiting for my coffee on Saturday I also snapped a picture of this cute owl book bag that Jay and I got Dylan for the plane.

IMG_5030 (640x480)

Its cute, right? It makes me happy every time I see it.

To continue with the creepy theme just a little longer, when we got back from the store Dylan wanted to play in my parent’s garage and climb on my dad’s tractor.

IMG_5033 (640x480)

Cute, but harmless. Until you zoom out:

IMG_5039 (640x480)

Do you see what I’m talking about? Yep, on the upper left. Here they are closer:

IMG_5037 (640x480)

As it happens, there is a completely logical explanation for why my parents have nightmare-inducing framed pictures of clowns hanging in their garage, but I’m not going to give it to you.

Moving on. Around noon lots of family arrived for the cookout including out-of-towners and in-towners, like my sister, Kelly, and her kids. Here she is with her littlest, Trevor:

photo 2

I posed them.

And here I am with Dylan, also my pose:

photo 3

I’d like to also introduce you to the man-of-honor, my Uncle Joe, featured alongside my grandmother, Rose. Joe is my grandmother’s brother-in-law:

photo 5 (640x480)

Uncle Joe is 90 years-young and famous for his green thumb and homemade pickles! He brought over a giant jug of them for the cookout and they are delicious as ever. Smile

At one point Dylan stole Uncle Joe’s hat, but didn’t quite know how to wear it:

IMG_5048 (640x480)

Speaking of Dylan, he has a blast, as always, playing with his cousins. Here he is with Parker and Julia:

IMG_5053 (640x480)

Not sure why that picture looks like it was taken in a cloud. I blame my old, lame iPhone. (New one is already pre-ordered! I was finally eligible for an upgrade!)

And here I am with Julia. She and I had a thing going where we would both shake our heads violently from side to side and say “Eeeeeeeee!” really loudly.

IMG_5055 (640x478)

It earned me some big hugs, so I did it as often as possible:

IMG_5056 (640x478)

Finally, here’s a cute picture of Dylan, in a rare moment, sitting still next to my dad.

IMG_5057 (640x478)

My dad’s favorite way to bond with his grandkids is by sitting with them in a chair and watching TV (sort of like every man I know), but since Dylan doesn’t stop moving during conscious hours, moments like these are rare!

IMG_5058 (640x478)

Of course, Dylan quickly realized there were buttons on the CD player and his attention moved elsewhere:

IMG_5059 (640x478)

Around five p.m. my sister and brother-in-law, Ben, approached me with the idea of going to the fair with the kids and I was like, “Are you guys high?” Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t one of the best things about an all-day cookout, besides creating magical memories with the people you love, the fact that your kids are almost guaranteed to get tuckered out and go to bed early? I used a series of persuasive arguments to convince them we would all have more fun if we postponed the fair until morning.


In an unexpected twist, Sunday morning Dylan and I went to the fair with my sister’s family and my mom!

But first, we ate breakfast a Friendly’s with my dad.

IMG_5061 (640x480)

I find eating at Friendly’s exceedingly gross (of all the chain restaurants its one of my least favorites, Uno’s Chicago Bar and Grill being my most favorite), but somehow I keep ending up there! We tried to go somewhere else but the wait was too long and Friendly’s is close to the fair so I guess it worked out. It’s a good place to eat with a kid anyway, and more than anything else, that’s appealing.

We got to the fair around 10 a.m. and enjoyed having the whole place almost all to ourselves. Here’s my B-I-L, Ben, with Trevor:

photo 3 (2)

And now, a brief interlude of pictures of the kids on rides:

photo 4 (640x480)

Why do Kelly and I both look like we have claws in that picture? Genetics are weird.

photo 1 (4) (640x480)

photo 2 (3) (640x480)

photo 2 (5) (640x480)

photo 5 (4) (640x480)

Finally, my mom giving Trevor a bottle on the carousel:

photo 1 (3) (640x480)

Around noon we headed home and Dylan went down for a nap. (Another reason to go to the fair in the morning = tuckering the kids out for their naps!). When he woke up we played outside in the crisp fall air:

IMG_5069 (640x480)

The whole afternoon was spent at home relaxing. Dylan and I went inside to play, then outside to play, then inside to play, then outside to play. Oh, I almost forgot! After that we went inside to play.

After dinner my mom, grandmother and I took Dylan to an adorable ice cream place called Sugar and Ice (in Barrington, NH) for dessert.

IMG_5074 (640x480)

IMG_5083 (640x480)

It was freezing, but we stayed for a long time while Dylan had fun playing on the handy assortment of outside toys.


IMG_5075 (640x480)

Dylan had Madagascar Vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles.

IMG_5081 (640x480)

He was cute and carried his bowl of ice cream from toy to toy, table to table, and would have a tiny bite at each station.

IMG_5079 (640x480)

IMG_5096 (640x480)

At one point he brought it over to an outdoor play-kitchen:

IMG_5085 (640x480)

He was cold so he put his ice cream in the microwave:

IMG_5087 (640x480)

And then gobbled it up over the sink, like how his dad eats dinner. Winking smile

IMG_5088 (640x480)

(I always tell Jay to sit down and enjoy his meals but he eats like he’s on-call and needs to sprint out the door for an emergency!)

And that about sums up the weekend! Its now Monday and Dylan is napping. Katie and I took him apple picking this morning! It was his first time, but he “picked” it up quickly.




The end.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

JASON SIROTIN September 18, 2012 at 3:50 am

Great post. You guys sure stay busy! Miss you and love you both.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: