Weekend Recap: Keeping The Kid Happy

by Courtney Sirotin on March 26, 2012

Post image for Weekend Recap: Keeping The Kid Happy

It seems like Jason and I spent most of the weekend just trying to keep Dylan happy. He’s going through a lot developmentally and has been on the brink the last few days. Thankfully, he also has a bunch of new “tricks” that have been fun to explore: he’s learning new signs rapidly, blowing tons of kisses, showing lots of affection for his stuffed animals, fake laughing and other things like that. When he blows me a kiss it melts away any stress I’ve been carrying from a recent tantrum.

Before I get into the weekend recap, check out this cute video of Dylan getting excited when his favorite show, Little Curious, comes on TV:


We didn’t do much Saturday morning. I didn’t feel like working out so that was replaced with the making of a construction paper sun on a stick. We also went to the grocery store and played outside. The usual.

IMG_0995 (640x480)IMG_0996

After Dylan’s nap and lunch we set off for the Calhoun Outlets in pursuit of Dylan’s summer wardrobe. He had a long conversation with Mickey Mouse on his play phone:

IMG_2803 (640x480)

Meanwhile, Jason and I caffeinated in preparation of an afternoon of shopping with Dylan. (Drinks not pictured.)


The last time we went to the outlets with Dylan was sort of…terrifying. He kicked and screamed the whole (short) time we were there and we ended up having to make a run for it without even completing our mission. This time we came prepared with pockets full of quarters:

IMG_1002 (640x480)

And factored in a lot of play opportunities:

IMG_1004 (640x480)

It was exhausting, but it paid off. Dylan even picked out this fedora for himself!


After a long car ride, Dylan was desperate to play outside once we got home. I was exhausted but rallied because giving him a lot of time to play outside is important to me. Jason moved the slide we used to keep in the basement outside, which was exciting for Dylan.

IMG_2801 (640x480)

We’re going to keep it there.

IMG_2797 (640x480)

Jason made a special BBQ chicken crock-pot meal for Dylan’s dinner. All day I was excited about this because it meant I didn’t have to think about what to feed him. At first, it seemed like Dylan liked it:


But that only lasted one bite. Sad smile

I was starting to get stressed out about his (lack of) dinner so Jay took over while I made a batch of cookies. I tried these out and they were just okay…


After Dylan went to bed Jason and I ate and hung out…and then it was bed time.


Dylan woke up at 5am on Sunday so that means I woke up at 5 am on Sunday. By 8am we had read books, played, eaten breakfast and set out for a run. Dylan napped in the stroller while I ran and listened to an awesome new audiobook called You’re Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations by Michael Ian Black.


Dylan was scheduled to start SoccerTots Sunday afternoon so we left early to grab lunch first. We went to Chili’s because it was the easiest option but I don’t think any of us were really craving it. Dylan was so mad he had to go from a nap to the car to a high chair with no time to play outside that he threw a number of mini-fits during lunch. It was less than relaxing…


(And yes, I do own more shirts. It seems like every time I post a picture of myself on this blog I’m in this shirt! I don’t even like it that much…)

SoccerTots was interesting. It’s a “parent participation” class but only one parent is allowed on the field at a time so Jason and I took turns. Dylan spent most of the class running for the door and trying to escape. I don’t think he liked it very much but it seems like it could be good for him so we are going to keep going. As much as I try to make it a priority, he doesn’t get to be around other kids every day so I really value these structured times where I know he is going to have that opportunity.


After SoccerTots we went to Wal-Mart because Jay wanted to get Dylan a new toy. Dylan was really tired and didn’t understand why we were at Wal-Mart so he became disgruntled and the experience became painful. Once we got home we were all exhausted. I gave Dylan some ice cream, Jason made a smoothie and I had a coffee. We all sat in silence around the table and unwound.


Jay called this my “Frosted Flakes” shot:


Dylan very much enjoyed his ice cream. There was only a little left in the container so I just gave him the whole thing.


After our snacks Dylan fell asleep unexpectedly. Since it was late in the afternoon I woke him up after only a half hour because I didn’t want to throw off his night schedule. He was not happy to wake up so I took him outside to play again. I’m seriously running out of things to do out there!

Dylan is now asleep and I’m on my way. I’m beat! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

ALANA March 27, 2012 at 1:27 am

Wow! What a day! I miss you guys!!! I cant wait for Dylan to blow me some kisses! Xoxoxo


JASON SIROTIN March 27, 2012 at 2:10 am

Dylan is a workout! I don’t know how you do it everyday.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: